A SKOLKOVO Graduate Becomes the EY Russia Entrepreneur of the Year 2017
Thursday, 23 November 2017
Moscow, November 23, 2017. – On November 22, in Moscow, the awarding ceremony was held to celebrate the winners of the EY Russia Entrepreneur of the Year 2017, a national stage of the international competition held by EY. Mikhail Kuchment, a co-founder of Hoff, Executive MBA graduate of the Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO, was named as the Entrepreneur of the Year. Michael also won in the Retail category. In June 2018, he will participate in the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year in Monte Carlo, Monaco. He will represent Russia in competition with the strongest representatives of the business community from many countries.
In 2007, Mikhail Kuchment and Alexander Zayonts decided to promote a unique hypermarket in Russia based on the one-stop-shopping concept. It is a hypermarket in which furniture and household goods are presented as integrated interior solutions. At present, Hoff is the leader of the Russian retail market with an annual turnover of over RUB 25 billion. The company develops most of their products independently using a portfolio of 10 store brands. Moreover, over the past few years, the company has localised most of its goods and captured 90% of Russia’s furniture market. At the end of 2017, Hoff stores will have been visited by 10 million people, while the network will include 22 hypermarkets and 11 mini-format stores—Hoff Home and Hoff Mini. The company plans to create a unique customer experience by using modern retail technologies, to increase its market share to 10%, and to enter the CIS markets.
This year, the Russia Entrepreneur of the Year celebrated its anniversary—the national round of the international competition was held for the 15th time. The competition will cover more than 60 countries. EY Entrepreneur of the Year Awards® is the only competition of entrepreneurs in the world.
This year, six alumni represented the SKOLKOVO Business School at this global competition:
- Pavel Gotsev, CEO of Solid Investment and Financial Company;
- Mikhail Kuchment, Vice-President of Hoff;
- Maxim Kyrkunov, CEO of C3 Solutions;
- Vladimir Mlynchik, CEO of Quadro Electric;
- Ilya Slepov, founder and co-founder of Runlab;
- Denis Yudchits, CEO of Mobile Medical Technologies.
The hosts of the awarding ceremony announced winners in ten categories and presented special prizes to the finalists selected by an independent jury. The jury was made up of famous representatives of business and academic circles, as well as winners of past years. They evaluated the competitors using such criteria as entrepreneurial spirit, innovativeness, financial performance of their company, growth rates, industry leadership, corporate social responsibility, etc.
Alexander Ivlev, Managing Partner of EY Russia, Head of Russia Entrepreneur of the Year Programme: “For 15 years, the competition has brought together nearly 600 entrepreneurs and heads of Russian companies from more than 50 regions. In 2003, we had participants only from Moscow and St. Petersburg. Interestingly, our competition reflects the market situation and economic development trends very well: this time, the consumer goods sector, the medical industry and, of course, the high-tech sector are well represented in the final round. Our national winner Mikhail Kuchment is an outstanding representative of Russian business. I’m sure he will properly represent our country on the international arena in Monaco in June 2018."
The jury of EY Russia Entrepreneur of the Year 2017 was made up of the following members:
- Raisa Demina, Chairman of the Board of Directors of TM Velcom Group;
- Mikhail Kopeikin, Chairman of the Board of the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA), PhD in Economics, Professor, Honoured Economist of the Russian Federation;
- Stanislav Kostyashkin, CEO of Continent Express;
- Rostislav Ordovsky-Tanaevsky Blanco, President of Rostik Group;
- Alexey Repik, Chairman of the Board of Directors of R-Pharm Group;
- Andrey Romanenko, Founder and CEO of Evotor, Co-founder of QIWI;
- Viktor Sedov, President, Member of the Board of Directors of the Centre for Entrepreneurship;
- Oleg Khusaenov, CEO of Zubr Capital Management Company, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Atlant-M International Automobile Holding;
- Andrey Sharonov, Dean of the Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO;
- David Iakobashvili, Vice-President, Member of the Bureau of Board, Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RUIE).
The Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO is a strategic partner of EY Russia. Graduates and students of the Business School are traditional winners of such competitions as the Business Woman and Entrepreneur of the Year.
Entrepreneur of the Year® Award is a competition that has been held by EY for 30 years. It is rightfully considered the most prestigious international competition of entrepreneurs. Today, it is held in over 145 cities in more than 60 countries throughout the world. In Russia, the competition has been held since 2003. See www.eoy.ru for more details on the competition.
EY is a global leader in audit, tax, transaction support and consulting services. EY refers to the global organisation, and may refer to one or several member companies of Ernst & Young Global Limited, each of which is a separate legal entity. Being a legal entity duly incorporated under the laws of the United Kingdom, Ernst & Young Global Limited is a company limited by guarantee and does not provide services to customers. More information is available at www.ey.com.